ABOUT THIS COURSE
NOTE: This is PART 1 of a 2-Part Microsoft Power BI series:
- Up & Running with Power BI Desktop
- Publishing to Power BI Service
If you're looking for a comprehensive, hands-on guide to learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop, you've come to the right place.
Power BI is quickly becoming the world's most powerful self-service business intelligence platform, and an absolutely essential tool for data professionals and beginners alike. With Power BI you can connect to hundreds of data sources, build complex relational models, and design stunning, interactive dashboards from scratch -- all for free.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
In this course, you'll be playing the role of Lead Analyst for Adventure Works Cycles, a global manufacturing company. Your mission? Design and deliver a professional-quality, end-to-end business intelligence solution, armed only with a handful of raw csv files.
But don't worry, I'll be guiding you through the ins-and-outs of Power BI Desktop, sharing crystal clear explanations and helpful pro tips each step of the way.
We'll follow a steady, systematic progression through the B.I. workflow, and break down our project into four key objectives:
OBJECTIVE #1: Connect & Transform the Raw Data
- Intro to the Query Editor
- Types of Data Connectors
- Basic Table Transformations
- Text, Number & Date Tools
- Index & Conditional Columns
- Grouping, Aggregating, Pivoting & Unpivoting
- Modifying, Merging & Appending Queries
- Connecting to Folders
- Defining Hierarchies & Categories
OBJECTIVE #2: Build a Relational Data Model
- Intro to Database Normalization
- Data ("Fact") Tables vs. Lookup ("Dimension") Tables
- Creating Table Relationships
- "Star" vs. "Snowflake" Schemas
- Active vs. Inactive Relationships
- Filter Context & Cardinality
- Connecting Multiple Data Tables
- Hiding Fields from Report View
- Data Modeling best Practices
OBJECTIVE #3: Add Calculated Fields with DAX
- Intro to Data Analysis Expressions (DAX)
- Calculated Columns vs. Measures
- Row Context vs. Filter Context
- DAX Syntax & Operators
- Basic Date & Time Intelligence Formulas
- Logical & Conditional Statements
- Text, Math & Stats Functions
- CALCULATE, ALL & FILTER Functions
- DAX Iterators (SUMX, AVERAGEX)
- DAX Best Practices
OBJECTIVE #4: Design Interactive Reports
- Intro to the Power BI Report View
- Adding Objects & Basic Charts
- Formatting & Filtering Options
- Slicers, Timelines, Cards & KPIs
- Map Visuals (Basic, Fill, ArcGIS)
- Treemaps, Lines, Areas & Gauges
- Editing Report interactions & Drillthrough Filters
- Using Report Bookmarks & Parameters
- Managing & Viewing Roles
- Data Visualization Best Practices
By the end of the project, you'll have developed an entire BI tool from the ground up, and gained the knowledge and confidence to apply these same concepts to your own real-world analyses.
Whether you're a casual user, aspiring analyst, or data science professional, this course will give you the tools you need to become an absolute Power BI ROCK STAR -- guaranteed.
Over 75% OFF
"I absolutely loved this course. This course, as well as Chris' other courses, moves at a perfect pace; I did not find myself getting lost or having to catch up. The detail was enough for me to understand the concepts behind what we were doing in the examples. I've taken a lot of online and in-person courses, and Chris' style is engaging and relatable. I look forward to his next course!"
- Stephen Michael
"Chris is a skilled communicator and does a great job of explaining a complex tool like Microsoft BI. His "pro-tips" are great for new user productivity and gaining a sense of the big picture. I also value his "best practices" on building and managing queries and reports. I'm feeling much more confident digging in and using MS Power BI!"
- Bill Jerrow
"Instructor is top notch - moves at the right pace and keeps it interesting. The best Power BI course I have come across by far!"
- Adam Edwards
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE COURSE?
- LIFETIME access to all content
- 10+ hours of high-quality video
- Downloadable Power BI ebook (100+ pages)
- Full-scale course project (+ bonus project)
- Homework exercises and quizzes (with solutions)
- 1-on-1 expert support
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
who IS THIS COURSE FOR?
- Anyone looking for a hands-on, project-based introduction to Microsoft Power BI Desktop
- Data analysts and Excel users hoping to develop advanced data modeling, dashboard design, and business intelligence skills
- Aspiring data professionals looking to master the #1 business intelligence tool on the market
- Students looking for an engaging, hands-on, and highly interactive approach to training
- NOTE: Power BI is currently only available for PC/Windows (not available for Mac)
Meet Your Instructor
Chris Dutton is a professional BI developer, certified Microsoft Expert, and best-selling instructor with more than a decade of experience specializing in business intelligence, marketing analytics and data visualization.
He founded Maven Analytics in 2014 to provide high-quality, applied analytics training and consulting to clients around the world, and now teaches 100,000+ students in more than 180 countries. He has developed award-winning data analytics and visualization tools, featured by Microsoft, the New York Times, and the Society of American Baseball Research.
StartTypes of Data Connectors (3:53)
StartThe Query Editor (4:28)
StartBasic Table Transformations (10:03)
PreviewText-Specific Tools (14:54)
StartNumber-Specific Tools (8:37)
StartDate-Specific Tools (8:53)
StartPRO TIP: Creating a Rolling Calendar (7:12)
StartIndex & Conditional Columns (8:30)
StartGrouping & Aggregating Data (7:33)
PreviewPivoting & Unpivoting (8:04)
StartMerging Queries (6:41)
StartAppending Queries (6:29)
PreviewPRO TIP: Appending Files from a Folder (7:38)
StartData Source Settings (5:05)
StartQuery Refresh Settings (3:06)
StartAdditional Data Types & Categories (7:19)
StartDefining Hierarchies (4:35)
StartPRO TIP: Importing Models from Excel (5:40)
StartData Connection Best Practices (2:09)
StartQUIZ: Connecting & Shaping Data
StartHOMEWORK: Connecting & Shaping Data
StartHOMEWORK SOLUTION: Connecting & Shaping Data (12:36)
Frequently Asked Questions
Over 75% OFF